Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Holiday Weekend+ Beer Tote

I got the idea from uncommongoods to make this simple looking beer tote for a friend. Nick challenged me to ever complete a woodworking project, so here it is, the first one over the line since eighth grade. Not so simple with my woodworking skills, but I got it done in only twice as many days as intended. All in all I learned a lot from my mistakes and I mostly like how it came out.

Materials:

  • (1) 1/4" x 5.5" x 48" poplar, Lowes--I recommend thicker if you're like me
  • (18) (plus a handful for the bent and messed up ones) #18 x 1" brass escutcheon pins (brass nails), local hardware
  • (1) 4-3/4" brass utility pull, local hardware
  • Minwax Wood Finish Cherry, Monica's finish/paint stash
  • Minwax Wipe-On Poly, my finish stash

Tools:

  • SketchUp, for reverse engineering the design proportions and making a cut plan (file available upon request)
  • bandsaw
  • jigsaw (didn't need it, but thought I'd try it with a finer toothed blade than the bandsaw)
  • disc sander
  • bench plane
  • sanding block
  • assorted sandpaper
  • drill and tiny bit ground even tinier at the tip
  • rags
  • 3M synthetic steel wool pad, "between coats"
  • hammer, oh yes, definitely a hammer

Here's the final schedule:
  1. preliminary: butt time, figuring
  2. Friday: cut, sand, apply first coat of stain
  3. Saturday: second coat of stain, first two or so coats of finish
  4. Sunday: more coats of finish throughout the day
  5. Monday: final finish coat, partial assembly
  6. Tuesday: more assembly, damage, cursing*
  7. Wednesday: recovery, partial disassembly, repairs, reassembly


* I did not lie on the floor this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment